Shape of Engagement – Scott Gould
Our May 2022 Book of the Month is “The Shape of Engagement: The Art of Building Enduring Connections with Your Customers, Employees, and Communities” by Engagement Specialist and speaker Scott Gould.
ABOUT THE BOOK
There are perhaps as few concepts as important but as misunderstood as engagement: 75% of leaders have no engagement plan or strategy even though 90% say engagement impacts on business success.
It is finally, in this incisive and timely book, that Scott Gould unveils the shape of engagement through seven frameworks, each one giving a powerful insight into how to build meaningful relationships with your customers, employees, and customers.
Eight years in the making, and drawing on almost two decades of experience, Scott will reveal to you:
- What makes engaging companies outperform their unengaging counterparts by a 29.9% increase in stock price year on year
- What’s getting in the way of your engagement succeeding, and why trying to “get” people to engage doesn’t work
- Why a click is NOT engagement, and what the difference is between participation, connection, and interaction
- What the three types of engagement are, and how to tell if they are at work in your organisation
- What the six psychological steps of engagement are, and what strategies to use at each stage
- What truly motivates people to engage
- How to operationalise engagement within an enterprise
Using the experience and insight garnered from working in a broad range of industries as diverse as media and entertainment, aviation, education, local councils, advertising agencies, tourism, national government, digital marketing, youth work, and even from being a church minister, Scott will show you how to put the shapes of engagement into practice, so that you never again scratch your head wondering what to do to engage.
“…a guide useful for any executive or individual seeking to understand the fundamental elements and importance of engagement.” Bruce Bolger, President of The Enterprise Engagement Alliance
“Community Engagement has lost its way. Scott shows us the way home.” Cormac Russell, Director of ABCD Europe
Scott Gould teaches leaders and organisations how to engage people. He literally wrote the book on engagement and codified how people engage with ideas, things, and each other – and how organisations can follow that pattern. With former experience as a church pastor and a creative director, Scott possesses a unique insight on what leads to soulful engagement in a world where so much is only skin deep.
As a management advisor, he has worked with some of the world’s biggest brands and oldest organisations to help them nurture highly engaged employees, customers, and communities. His book deconstructs and demystifies engagement through a series of shapes, based on a decade of research and practical experience across a diverse range of sectors and scenarios.
His speaking topics include –
- Re-engaging relationships in the Post-Covid World
- Engagement Apocalypse: Why the next decade will put people over product, and how that’ll change your entire business
- Smells like Team Spirit: How to build highly engaged, high performing workplaces
- You Had Me At Hello: How to instantly engage anyone