Out of the Office
“I am out of the office on annual leave today and will be back at my desk tomorrow. Emails will be checked from time to time but I apologise for any delays in replies. If the matter is urgent you can try my mobile.”
Despite saying they are on annual leave, emails will be checked and they can still be called. Whilst many people do actually completely switch off and take time out, some of us (me included sometimes) cannot seem to let go and switch off.
The work/life balance is becoming increasingly important for our mental health and these are just a few speakers we work with who cover that balance within their talks.
Josh Littlejohn is a leading social entrepreneur having created innovative solutions to social challenges and led a global movement to tackle homelessness and displacement.
Josh began working on the homelessness issue when he co-founded Social Bite, a social enterprise in Scotland with a mission to eradicate homelessness in the country. Social Bite started as a small chain of sandwich shops that began offering jobs and free food to homeless people. The cafes shot to global fame when Hollywood A-lister George Clooney visited an outlet in Edinburgh in 2015. Another Oscar winner Leonardo Di Caprio then visited the social enterprise in 2016. Social Bite now employs over 75 people, many from a background of homelessness; and gives out over 200,000 items of food each year to homeless and vulnerable people.
Josh’s story from both a personal and professional perspective is a true inspiration to audiences of all generations.
Key areas of focus:
- Entrepreneurship and start-ups
- Making a difference
- Tackling Homelessness and Poverty
- Starting a global movement
- Manifesting your goals into reality
- Work/Life Balance
- Challenges in employing people from excluded backgrounds
Dan Reed is the Head of Digital Servicing Small Business at Barclaycard and a former Senior Strategist within the Digital Strategy Group at Adobe. He’s also dad of two beautiful children and the Founder of Career Dad, where Dan speaks on equality and gender diversity; flexible working; and, career progression.
Dan has been working in the digital, technology, and marketing space, focussed within financial services, since finishing his Masters’ degree from the University of Hull in 2010. However, whilst on paternity leave with his second child, he realised he was struggling.
Dan decided to put a video out on LinkedIn talking about the two things that were really important to him: pursuing my career and being a dad. The response was amazing and the message resonated and later that year, Career Dad was born.
In a world full of conference speakers, Alison Edgar MBE is a relatable figure for audiences around the globe, providing them with lasting impact and inspiration that resonates, not only from a workplace situation but their whole lives. Working in the corporate world until she was age 46, Alison understands first-hand the challenges that delegates face on a daily basis. Alison champions actionable takeaways for every audience, and her upbeat, passionate delivery style rubs off on even the most skeptical audience members.
Her talk Intrapreneurship: Adopting an Agile Approach offers advice on how to help work-life balance
Intrapreneurship: Adopting an Agile Approach
Wouldn’t it be great if every employee had the same passion, ambition, and drive as the business owner? An intrapreneur does. Intrapreneurs and entrepreneurs share three fundamental values:
- Agility and adaptability to change
In this interactive and engaging talk, Alison delves into her years of research surrounding what makes top performers feel like they are running their own businesses, extracting the critical framework to enable your audience to harness an intrapreneurial mindset that will inspire continuous improvement and adaptability.
This talk is perfect for you if:
- You have a team of employees or leaders who would benefit from a boost in morale
- You are looking for a way to inspire innovative and outside-of-the-box thinking within your team
- You are looking for actionable takeaways that your team can implement straight away to improve work/life balance, well-being, communication, and motivation
Andrew Pain is a Mental Health and TEDx speaker, talking about; men’s mental health, burnout, imposter syndrome, decision-making, and domestic abuse (as a lived-experience survivor). One of his keynote speeches is HOW TO STOP BURNOUT, SO WORK/LIFE BALANCE IS A REALITY NOT A UTOPIA
About the Speech
Regarded by the World Health Organisation as a key driver of workplace absence and a major challenge for professionals who are striving and coping in our complex 21st-century world, there’s little doubt that burnout is a real and present danger, which poses grave consequences for people and organisations who ignore it. But what is burnout? What are the triggers? Is it preventable and if so, how do you prevent it?
In this session, participants will explore:
- The 5 most common workplace triggers of burnout and how to tackle them.
- The easy-win and wider-scale strategies to tackle workplace burnout.
- Why tackling burnout requires a wider focus than simply the work environment.
- The critical mindset shifts required to handle arduous and long-term stress.
- How elite performers process and respond to setbacks, using T.E.S.T.
- How to manage long-term worries using The Worry Scale, so you remain proactive about tackling your worries, but without getting consumed by them.
- Mindfulness for beginners and non-converts: why it matters and how to get started.
- How to create rhythms and routines which energise in the toughest of times.
As always if we can help with any enquiries please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 020 8854 7247