Retail Technology Expert & Speaker
Alex is a technology, consumer, and experience expert. He specialises in making complex trends and technologies relatable for any audience, with his knowledgeable but laid-back style inspiring audiences around the world about the future of society, customer experience, and business.
Formerly the Senior Vice President at global trend forecasting and consulting practice GDR Creative Intelligence, Alex consults on innovation, digital transformation, CX and futurology for household name clients across the EU and USA in technology, retail, brand and hospitality, helping some of the worlds largest and most innovative companies turn insights into strategies.
Prior to joining GDR, he was the Consultancy Director at leading UK technology firm Red Ant, designing and delivering award-winning solutions, innovation and strategy from boardrooms to stockrooms across the globe. Before that, he founded an app development agency in the early days of the iPhone. A guest lecturer at Birmingham City University, he regularly authors articles for both the national and specialist press, and occasionally serves as a guest expert for the BBC. He founded the Connected Retail Index, a technology scorecard for over 200 retailers, has designed applications with millions of monthly active users, and led the team that won the inaugural IBM Watson Global Developer Challenge for applied artificial intelligence. He has a degree in Psychology from Warwick University, where he specialised in user experience, user behaviour, sociobiology and applied neuroscience.
Some of the project hightlights he has worked on include –
- Helped Google create the carrier store launch activations for the Pixel 3 in the UK
- Inspired Lego’s new approach for launching store-exclusive products
- Technical advisor for The BBC on real-world technology trends for developing new science fiction and non-fiction shows
- Created a framework for innovation in sustainability for P&G’s global design strategy day
- Helped Coca-Cola understand disruptive direct-to-consumer brands
- Helped Dixons Carphone understand how customers and staff shop for laptops, and revised the category strategy to suit
- Advised independent financial advisors on AI and robo-investment for Owen James
- Devised a process for Under Armour to deliver 10-year planning through company-wide co-creation workshops
- Built Kingfisher Group’s first corporate trend framework and innovation toolkit
Alex is an insightful speaker who has spoken for such clients as Retail Week Live, RBTE, IBM SalesConnect, Samsung Futurescape, iDisrupt, IRX, and IoT in Retail.
His speeches cover theme including –
- Service Design
- Apps & Smartphones
- Emerging Technologies
- Internet Trends
- Digital Media
- Gaming & Esports
- Customer Experience
- Start Ups
Some of the questions Alex raises in his talks include –
- – What do technologies like artificial intelligence and automation mean for retail?
- – What technology should you invest in, when should you do it, and how does it integrate?
- – What will inspire, reward and engage customers, and what is the strategy for delivering it?
“His in-depth understanding, coupled with a blend of enthusiasm and a laid-back delivery style, has attracted some of the highest audience feedback scores I’ve seen in organising nearly 100 events at POPAI.”
— Phil Day, Director, POPA
“A massive THANK YOU! For your presentation on Monday. The teams all cited this as a highlight of the summit, and a great eye-opener for some of the innovation happening throughout the industry.”
— Dana Gers, Global Director of Marketing & Comms, Yoox Net-a-Porter