Igniting Inspiration Awards
On Thursday 28th November 2019 the Igniting Inspiration Awards are taking place at the aspire-igen Opportunity Centre in Bradford.
Founder of Inspiring Women Changemakers and inspirational speaker Anj Handa* is the founder of the awards, which is now in its 3rd year and celebrates women changemakers in the North of England.
Showcasing ordinary women doing extraordinary things, the awards recognise their tireless work and impact they are having on the people around them. Reluctant to put themselves forward for accolades, the awards really do ensure that great stories get heard by sharing the stories before, during and after awards night itself.
The year-round online campaign showcases the achievements and dedication of women changemakers in the North and culminates with a celebration event each November. The awards take a unique, inclusive approach, through publishing each nomination received as a case study and sharing widely across social media, and by inviting supporters to purchase Pay it Forward tickets to enable women with limited means to attend the celebration event.
This means that asylum seeking and refugee women and corporate professionals dine and share stories on an equal footing, rarely experienced at any other awards event in the UK.
They share the stories of women who are making a positive social change at work or in their communities across six categories to give them the recognition and profile they deserve.
The awards categories – include –
- HEART OF GOLD for a woman who has made a huge difference to another person’s life.
- COMMUNITY CHAMPION for a woman who has made an outstanding contribution within her community.
- SOCIAL IMPACT STAR for a woman who has made a scaleable change within her workplace or community.
- DIVERSITY-DRIVEN ORGANISATION (SME) for a woman working within a micro- or small business, committed to diversity and inclusion.
- THE MARY BERNADETTE SPEIGHT REMEMBRANCE AWARD – A special award for an exceptional woman, in memory of Bernadette Speight.
- YOUNG CHANGEMAKER – For young changemakers aged between 18 & 25
This year, three artists who are part of the movement and are passionate about mental health will perform. They are TV judge and session singer (Spice Girls, Jane McDonald and Friends to name a few) Suzanna Dee, Miranda Arieh, who in 2017 was a winner in the Igniting Inspiration awards herself, and No Fixed IDentity, mentee of Anj Handa for over four years.
The two course Spanish themed meal that will be served at the event will be prepared and served by learners on the venue’s Hospitality programme. Giving a boost to their confidence, the event gives young people their first experience of catering an event of this size.
For more information and details on the awards please visit their website
We wish all of the nominees the best of luck
* Anj Handa is the Founder of Inspiring Women Changemakers, a dynamic movement of changemakers who speak up for women’s rights.
Named as one of Grant Thornton’s 100 Faces of a Vibrant Economy in 2018, described by i-news as ‘a bloody brilliant woman’ and winner of the AFSA 2017 Positive Action Award, Anj has 20 years’ experience in the field of Social Impact and Inclusion. She was recently recognised in Forbes as one of the 10 Diversity & Inclusion Trailblazers You Need to Get Familiar With.
For more information on Anj Handa as a speaker please access her biog here.